Qajar Bath House

Also known as: Qajar Bath House Museum, The Bathhouse of Haj Mir-Hassan Qazvin

Royal Legacy


This is one of the oldest and largest of its kind in Qazvin. It was commissioned by Shah Abbas of Safavid dynasty back in 1647. Whether for the kingly commission, or for its royal dimensions, the building was initially called Hamam-Shahi (Royal Bath House).
No longer have people come to take a bath; the visitors are here to see the museum of anthropology beneath the brick vaults of the bath, where wax figures are shown to be busy in doing their jobs round the blue pools and in nooks and crannies.


Huge Bathhouse


With separate quarters for men and women, as required by the tradition, the 1,000 sq meter Qajar Bath House is further divided into 3 main sections. The main door on the southern face leads to a winding staircase ending down at the first section called (Sarbineh). It is a large change-room, here in fact, a vast, octagonal hall with a central shallow pool in the shape of a toothed wheel exists.


Flawless Brickworks


An intermediary space, called Miandar (mid-door), connects the change-room to the main hall of the bath, which is called Garm-khaneh (warm house). The hall is paved with marble and is further divided into more private spaces. Decorative and lattice tiles in blue and yellow are in harmony with ocher bricks on the walls and vaults. One only marvels at the flawless brickworks.

  • 194
 
 
     
    Show More ...
     

      Error 500

      Internal Server Error.